Book: The Sugarmaker's Companion An Integrated Approach to Producing Syrup From Maple, Birch and Walnut Trees By Michael Farrell
The Sugarmaker’s Companion includes:
- A focus on maple syrup as a healthy, local, sustainably produced alternative to corn syrup and other highly processed artificial sweeteners;
- Discussions about organic certification, sugarhouse registration, and the new international grading system;
- Information on marketing to create a profitable business model based on scale, interest, access, and more;
- Detailed analyses of the economics of buying and selling sap;
- Information on ways to process and market other tree saps, including birch and walnut;
- Ways to enhance diversity in the sugarbush and interplant understory crops for value-added products such as ginseng, goldenseal, and mushrooms; and,
- An economic analysis of utilizing maple trees for syrup or sawtimber production.
- If, and on what scale, syrup production is right for them;
- How to find trees for tapping;
- The essentials of sap collection;
- The art and science of sugarmaking;
- How to build community through syrup production; and,
- Valuable information on ecological forest management and value-added products.
Praise and Reviews
“In The Sugarmaker’s Companion, Michael Farrell presents both a philosophical and a practical look at today’s tree sap and syrup industry. The book provides pertinent and useful information for both hobby and commercial tree tapping operations. In a changing industry that is heavily shadowed by tradition, Michael combines the old tested methods with up-to-date research and science.This comprehensive book looks at both the big picture and many of the small details. Even for non-sugarmakers, it will be an informative and enjoyable read.” —Gary Backlund, author of Bigleaf Sugaring: Tapping the Western Maple
© Diane Chase is the author of the Adirondack Family Time™ guidebook series, Adirondack Family Time™: Your Four Season Guides to over 300 Activites, which is available online or bookstores/museums/sporting good stores. Diane is currently working on the third guidebook in the four-book series of Adirondack Family Activities™.