Making your own alcohol extract is easy and will save you of money.
(For parents only)
For example: Usnea (Old Man's Beard) is an herbal remedy that has been used for centuries to help with immune related issues. With cold and flu season upon us, perhaps this is the year for you to check out Usnea's healthy properties, whether you make your own or buy it at your local health food store!
1) Pack a clean glass jar full with the lichen, Usnea
2) Pour 100 proof vodka over the Usnea, making sure the alcohol completely covers the lichen material.
3) Cover the jar with a lid.
4) Let it sit in a cabinet for about five-six weeks
5) After the recommended time strain off and save the liquid
6) Compost the herb/lichen
7) The saved liquid is your tincture. Pour your extract back into the same jar. It will have turned brownish-orange.
8) Transfer into smaller dropper bottles for transportation and ease.
Caution: With any herbal treatment or medicine, please do not make/use without knowing allergic reactions and or only use after consulting an experienced health care practitioner. Used in excess, Usnea has been known to cause liver damage, allergic reactions and other complications. Always check out and research all possibilities of medicinal conflicts before starting any new health care regime.
DisclaimerThese statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
© Diane Chase is the author of the Adirondack Family Activities™ guidebook series, Adirondack Family Time™, which is available online or bookstores/museums/sporting good stores. Diane is currently working on the third guidebook in the four-book series of Adirondack Family Activities™.