|Prospect Mt trail follows the path of an old funicular|
Hike Prospect Mountain in Lake George, NY
• Elevation= 2,041’
• Ascent= 1,600’
• The Old cable railway cost $110,000.00 when it was built in 1875.
• The cable railway was 7,392 feet in length
|A long footbridge crosses I-87.|
• The cost to passengers was 50¢ in 1875 when the average weekly wage was $3.00
• The railway rails were used for scrap metal during World War I
• The original Prospect Mountain Inn (located at the summit) was destroyed by forest fire in 1880, rebuilt and burned again
• A funicular (or incline railway) uses a cable to pull up a car that rolls on a track. It originated in the 15th century as a way to get people up steep inclines. Now is most commonly used to get downhill skiers to the top of mountains.
|The road is open to cars from May-October|
|All that is left of the Incline Railway at Prospect Mt.|
|A view of Lake George for the summit of Prospect Mt.|